Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Why I swaddle my baby !


I started to swaddle my newborn because it helped him sleep for a longer time. After I brought him home from the hospital, we stopped swaddling him because we didn’t have any blankets on us. My son would wake up every hour after each feeding and even that one hour, it was difficult to get him to fall asleep. 
As a sleep deprived mom and dad, we went searching for answers. We immediately found stories of moms and dads using a swaddle blanket to help their newborn sleep. A lot of parents were adamant about swaddling and recommended it without hesitation. We quickly purchase some swaddle blankets and started swaddling our son.
The impact of swaddling wasn’t immediate, but over the course of a week, I found swaddling to be effective as people described. Why swaddling helps? First, I notice how swaddling creates a steady routine for the baby. We un-swaddle my son for feeding, diaper change, or baths. After any of these events, we immediately swaddle him again. In the swaddle state, my son knows its time for sleep and does not create much of a fuss because of it. A routine schedule a practice keeps newborns in sync with what is expected of him.
Secondly, a swaddle baby is inhibited from moving around too much. The restraint reduces the chance a baby will wake himself up when he gets into an uncomfortable position.    Additionally, babies have quick movements when something loud is echo in the background.  These loud noises instigate a quick reflex movement that tends to wake up the newborns.  When swaddle, babies do not startle themselves awake and are able to sleep longer. 
Take advantage of swaddling and find the right swaddle blanket for your newborn!

No comments:

Post a Comment