Monday, June 4, 2012

Solid food introduction time for my new baby

At my last visit with the pediatrician, I started to ask the question – “When should I start feeding solid food to my baby?”

He generally stated that between 4 to 6 months of age is a good time, but he did recommend that I should start 1 month later (5 months) because my son was born 1 month premature. But, he did say various studies have indicated that infants are not physiologically or developmentally ready to accept solids prior to 4-6 months. Furthermore, the likelihood of my son to develop future allergic development is increased if I start to feed him earlier.

When I start to give him solid food, he will get new tastes and textures in his mouth. He will need to learn a new process of eating that takes difference skills. For instance, he will need to learn how to swallow and eat from a spoon. My doctored warned me that I should expect to see my son spitting out food. Like in any training process for babies, parents need to be patient.

 

Reference:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22306181

No comments:

Post a Comment